Bon Jovi - London O2 Arena 20th June 2010

So 9 months after the dates were announced here we are night 8 of 12 at the O2 Arena Greenwich.
I have been a fan since buying the debut LP on import from Shades(sadly long since gone London store)way back in 1984 but after the 2006 show we saw in Southampton I have to say felt they had had their day. On that nite they were uninterested had no chemistry between Jon and Richie and I missed the 2008 dates after the Lost Highway "Nashville"cd after that.
I enjoyed "The Circle" cd on its release but I didn't buy a ticket until after the "Circle"tour started. I wanted to see if the fire had returned and on seeing youtube footage of early dates I felt it was worth the chance.
Now not having thousands of pounds for a close seat I had to settle for a £75 ticket on Richies side for the O2 Arena experience. I remember for the New Jersey tour way back in 1988 being able to buy a ticket for row 2 at Wembley Arena just because I was first out of the traps for one!!
 
On arrival managed to get past the car park mafia into car park 4 after saying I was visiting the cinema so only paying £7 not £25 clever eh!!
Programmes were £20,t shirts £20 upwards with a hoodie at £50. I spent £0!!
 
Support were from One Republic who were a little too jangly for me. It says a lot when they biggest response was for a cover of Tears For Fears "Shout".
 
Tonite was my 12th time seeing Bon Jovi and the first indoors(tour) since 1993 although the Cardiff Millenium show in 2001 had the roof closed!!
Over the course of the next 2 and a half hours and this setlist my faith was restored.
 
Blood On Blood
We Weren't Born To Follow
You Give Love A Bad Name
Born To Be My Baby
Superman Tonight
In These Arms
When We Were Beautiful
Summertime
Captain Crash
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
We Got It Going On
Bad Medicine w/Roadhouse Blues(Doors cover)
Homebound Train(Richie on vox)
Bed Of Roses
Squeezebox(acoustic)
These Days(acoustic)
Someday I'll Be Saturday Night(acoustic)
Have A Nice Day
Work For The Working Man
It's My Life
Who Says You Can't Go Home
Keep The Faith
Encores of   I Love This Town
Wanted Dead Or Alive
Livin' On A Prayer
 
Have they still got it. It was apparent from the word go Jon sounded excellent and the chemistry between him and Richie is back.
Maybe it was just me or was Richie even set up more centre stage and the video footage was split between the 2 of them. They shared the microphone and looked fresh even after 5 months on the road.
Jon smiled his way through the whole evening and the rest of the band did their bit. Tico Torres on drums is a monster, David Bryan on keys(recent 4 time Tony award winner in his own right now!!) Hugh Mcdonald(bass) and Bobby Bandiero(2nd geetar) all played their part and kicked ass all nite.  So tight!!
 
The band have been moving the setlist for each nite so I was hopeful of Blood as first song done. Ditto with In These Arms,Nice Day and Faith.
2 I had my fingers crossed for were Homebound Train with Richie on vox and These Days.  Well what a lucky sod I was.
Train had only been played once at the O2 and I have to say I think it frightened most of the crowd as Richie sang his heart out,solo'd like mad and the band kicked ass.  Wonderful stuff.  For the acoustic set on the walkway we had These Days.   Played this way for the first time ever.  Utterly fantastic Jon sounding better than for a long time and Richie singing just fab and the solo just finished it off.  A real moment!!
 
The stage set was superb giving even the people in the Gods a view with the wrap round(at the back)video screen and the one in the roof which broke up into many sizes,angles or as one enormous one which blocked the view of the people at the back of the stage quite a few times.  The 5 robots that moved the other screens around behind the band were amazing at one time changing from screens to a walkway for Jon!!  Fantastic lights and sound too as you would expect from night 8 of 12.
 
150 minutes whizzed by and as an event just wow!!
Value for money. I think so. Aerosmith in the week was £106 a go even in the Gods I paid £75 for a superb view a 2 and a half hour set,spent nothing at The O2 and only £7 for the car park £18 at Wembley so for me a winner all round.
Home in 2 hours after show time too!!!
 
And the band are back too........................
 
ME 10/10

Popular Posts from last 30 Days