Joe Satriani - Hammersmith Apollo 10/11/15



I don't think that there is anything as iconic in rock music as walking around the corner from Hammersmith tube station and seeing a name in red letters above the doors of Hammersmith Apollo (yes I know, but who calls it anything else? )

Joe Satriani was the name in the old school red font tonight, my first time seeing the man whose Surfing with the Alien album I bought the day it came out many many years ago now.

However, first up was Dan Patlansky whose début UK album (Dear Silence Thieves) I reviewed earlier in the year. It must be daunting being a guitarist on the same bill as someone that many consider to be the master of his art. 
They have completely different styles though, as Dan channels his inner Hendrix into some funky blues numbers. Great blues voice too, but I think that iconic Hammersmith lettering might have got to him as he seemed a bit nervous between songs..there's only so many times that we can "Check This Out" , but that's a minor issue. Songs like 'Backbite' and 'Fetch Your Spade' both from Dear Silence Thieves sounded excellent.

Here is what he played


DRONE (instrumental opening)
BRING THE WORLD TO ITS KNEES  (taken from the album 20 Stones)
RUN  (taken from the forthcoming album INTRO-VERTIGO, released end of March/April 2016)
HOLD ON (taken from the album Dear Silence Thieves)
STOP THE MESSING (taken from the forthcoming studio album INTRO-VERTIGO)
FETCH YOUR SPADE (taken from the album Dear Silence Thieves)
BACKBITE  (taken from the album Dear Silence Thieves)
MY CHANA (closing instrumental track)

Great to see some light and shade in the show as after the very heavy riffing and vocal of new song Run to the quality tones both vocally and musically of Hold On.
Dan returns to the UK at The Borderline in London and at Planet Rockstock at the start of December.




I was a bit anxious before the gig as to how Joe was going to keep my attention with two hours of instrumentals... I needn't have worried. The time flew by. Joe has the tightest band that I think I have ever witnessed and watching them (especially Marco Minnemann on drums) is as good as any movies playing on the backdrop.

From the opening note of the his latest cd right the way through to the last note of Surfing With The Alien we had over the course of 2 hours and 10 minutes some of the most amazing band interplay I have seen in over 30 years of gig going.

Here is what they played.

Shockwave Supernova
Flying in a Blue Dream
Ice 9
Crystal Planet
Not of this Earth
On Peregrine Wings
Friends
Time
If I Could Fly
Butterfly and Zebra
If There is No Heaven
Cataclysmic
Crazy Joey
All of my Life
Luminous Flesh Giants
Always with me, Always with you
God is Crying
Goodbye Supernova
Satch Boogie
Big Bad Moon
Surfing with the Alien

As a huge DreamTheater fan I have always wanted to see Marco Minnemann as he lost out in the band drum interviews to Mike Mangini and in my opinion Dream Theater's loss is Joe Satriani's gain.

The man lay down at times a very metal driving beat with a display of power yet precision drumming that was flawless.During his solo he broke down into a cymbal,microphone and edge of drum part that saw his hands flash across his kit at speed but with such finesse that he could be  a surgeon!
Drum solo's usually fill me with dread this was as good as anything I have ever seen and that includes the incomparable Neal Peart.

With Bryan Beller on bass and Joe's long time friend,band mate and producer Mike Keneally on keyboards and second guitar who gave those of us who are not skinny jeaned,tattooed,young rock gods hope that we may yet get to the big stage as he traded licks with Joe time and time again and believe me he gave as good as he got!

Last and by no means least Joe.Shockwave Supernova is his fifteenth album and he continues to amaze.He riffs and solo's like no one else on the planet and his range of notes and speed in the live setting and in front of your eyes has your jaw dropping to the floor.
He produces sublime moments at every turn from the metallic On Peregrine Wings ( with more fills than ever from Marco) but is as equally adapt at the more melodic Butterfly And Zebra and my favourite Always With Me,Always With You.His phrasing and tone on this song always has me near to tears and the hairs on the back of my neck standing to attention.

My only hope is that this tour will be captured on film and audio so I can re live it over and over again.
Some live performances are beyond compare and have you struggling to put it into words and  adrenaline was still running through my body 48 hours later and live music doesn't do that too you often.

















Popular Posts from last 30 Days