Joe Bonamassa - The Plug Sheffield - 24th Feb 08

A new experience for me, not only had I not seen Joe play before but it was also my first “true blues” event.

The original plan was to see his show in Leeds, but this sold out before I got tickets. So it was the Sheffield show we went see. The venue was packed. I thought it was busy last year when I saw UFO, but they’d squeezed even more in for this one.

I have to thank Dave for introducing me to the music of Joe Bonamassa, by pointing me in the direction of the excellent Sloe Gin CD.

On to the show, Joe Bonamassa is an extraordinary guitarist, and his live show has to be seen to be believed. He must be due to play bigger venues soon judging by the numbers attending tonight.

There were so many highlights but one I must mention was the extended acoustic guitar solo, I’ve never heard anything like it, brilliant.

Included in the set was ZZ Top’s Just Got Paid which incorporated a bit of Led Zepp in the solo.

If you don’t not any Joe Bonamassa songs I’d recommend down loading a couple of tracks Sloe Gin (from Sloe Gin) and Asking Round For You (from You & Me) these are current favourites of mine and both were included in the set.

Occasionally you realize that you are in the same room as a real talent, this was one of those nights. If he plays anywhere near you, you must go and see him.

NH

Popular Posts from last 30 Days