AC/DC Wembley Stadium 26th June 2009 - Part 2


The View from the Gods

Those of you that see these pages often will appreciate that, as our Northern correspondent, I tend to do more of the, shall we say, “value” range of gigs, so £25 for parking and £4 for a pint of wishy washy girly larger came as bit of a shock to the wallet. Let’s face it that will easily cover the cost of my next two gigs and beer.

I have to say I was suitably impressed with the new national stadium and it must be great if you live in the South East, so if we could move it to say Birmingham I’d be happy. My seat is on the “half way line” three rows from the back, so we rang Heathrow airport for clearance before we took our seats.

First on are The Answer – I think they are a great band and the new CD Demon Eyes is already one of my favourites of 2009. The sound isn’t great, but is it ever for opening acts at stadiums? They seemed to go down well and I hope to see them later this year. They are possibly the future of Rock n Roll.Next up should have been Thin Lizzy but a late cancellation means its a band called The Subways that I’ve never heard of. Sorry but they did nothing for me at all, and quite frankly throwing a plastic bottle half full with water into the crowd is not clever, it’s just bloody stupid.

Onto the main attraction, I first saw AC/DC at Donnington 81. They simply are one of (if not the best) Rock n Roll bands around. The set opened with Rock n Roll Train, from where we where sat we couldn’t see the “train crash” but what we could see from our vantage point was the crushing at the front, all of a sudden our seats felt quite luxurious. I won’t bore you with a set list; suffice to say there were songs from the full history of the band including 5 from the new CD, Black Ice.


The main set ended with a great driving version of Let There be Rock. Encores were Highway to Hell and For Those About to Rock. I suspect it may be the last time I see the band live, I hope it’s not.

NH

Popular Posts from last 30 Days