Ronnie James Dio - R.I.P.

We learned at the weekend of the sad death of a rock legend - Ronnie James Dio passed away at 7.45am on May 16th after a battle with stomach cancer. Our thoughts are with his wife, family & friends.

We've seen Ronnie perform many times over the years and you would never have thought that a guy now well into his 60's (he was 67 when he died) could retain such a powerful voice.  I remember seeing him perform with his solo band for the first time at Donington in 1983 and thinking that I was witnessing history.. hearing all the Rainbow, Sabbath and Holy Diver tracks all together for the first time made the hair stand up on the back of your neck.  I'm listening to a bootleg of that gig as I write and it still makes me feel that way.

Name some of your favourite rock albums of all time, I bet " Heaven & Hell", "Rainbow Rising" or "Holy Diver" is in that list somewhere.

Somewhere there's a rainbow rising.. RIP Ronnie.

Popular Posts from last 30 Days