The Liberty Slaves/Pat McManus Band/The Quireboys – Bradford Rio’s 27 April 2012

What a great night this was, the best I’ve experienced since Rio’s moved to its new venue in Bradford. Three great bands, great beer and great value at 15 quid a ticket.


First up were local band The Liberty Slaves, I had previously seen them in Huddersfield supporting The Quireboys when they were a five piece band. Tonight there was only four in the line up but they still served up a fun filled rocking set that kept everyone entertained.

The venue filled rapidly for the appearance of Pat McManus and his band. For those of you, like me, who remember the 80’s you will remember Pat (The Professor) as part of a band called Mama’s Boys. Unfortunately I never got to see them live, so I was really looking forward to this set. And what a set it was it was kicking off with Danger Zone it was obvious we were in the company of a very talented man fronting, a very talented band. We had a couple songs from the Mama’s Boys days Run Away Dreams and Last Thing at Night. The set was brought to a close with Belfast Boy, a tribute to Gray Moore and then the final song the great Needle in the Groove. I never thought I’d hear that song played live, so I was one very happy punter. If the Pat McManus Band are playing anywhere near you go and check them out. You will not be disappointed.

How do The Quireboys follow that I asked myself - well simple really they kick their set off with Tramps and Thieves, There She Goes Again and Hey You. Job done the crowd were eating out of their hands. Pat McManus join them on fiddle for Roses and Rings, One for the Road, Last Time and Sweet Mary Ann. The main set was brought to a great close with 7 o’clock with a look a like Spike joining the band on stage.

If this is Rock n Roll I want more of it – brilliant.

NH

Popular Posts from last 30 Days