Thunder - Hammersmith- 14th March 2015

 There is a question that is as old as time. We have all asked ourselves this question at  some point in our lives. Not the unanswerable  stuff such as "Why am I here?", "Is there a God" or "why are Nickelback so famous?" but the "What is my favourite band" question.

The answer to this usually varies depending on what's happening in your life at that time, but nominees over the years for me have been Aerosmith, Blackfoot and Black Sabbath (with Dio -controversial I know!).


Suddenly on Thursday night about 10pm like a long lost friend that hadn't changed -  Love
Walked In to my life.  I've seen them numerous times, have all the albums, and the live stuff, been to the acoustic Danny & Ben shows, sing-along loudly to them more than any other band ever in the car, play along badly to them on the guitar more than any other band ever.

Like a bolt about of the blue it had hit me. How did I not realise it before?

Thunder are my favourite band.

no question.
end of.
finito.
move on, nothing to see here.

Seeing them for the umpteenth time on Saturday at Hammersmith with Danny's voice blasting through the crowd, the guitars ripping their way through the air - and the songs. My God.. the songs

It goes to show how good the latest Wonder Days album is. They played 6 ish (I was too busy enjoying myself to count to be honest) from the new album and they fit in perfectly with classics from the older albums. Wonder Days could be their finest hour (and a bit).

It was so good to see Ben Matthews looking thin but healthy - having beaten that bastard cancer. Without getting too deep it does seem like the whole awful process has reborn the band.. coming back fighting and in the form of their lives. A Resurection (Day) if you will.

Hammersmith Odeon (yeah I know it's the Apollo) was packed to the rafters, no doubt many
of whom like me that had been with the band from day one (seeing them support Aerosmith in my case)

The Magnificent Five - Long may they reign.

NR

Popular Posts from last 30 Days